Monday, November 17, 2008

Lost Keys, CPs & Getting A Clue

    posted by Aunty Cindy aka Loucinda McGary

    Everyone who has spent more than five minutes in the Lair knows that yer olde Aunty is NOT a morning person. Anything that happens before 10 a.m. West Coast Time is not something Aunty needs to know (unless, of course, it is a flight to a vacation destination)! You can imagine Aunty's chagrin when last Thursday, she was awakened from dreamland at 8:30 by someone pounding on the front door.

    NOBODY pounds on my door.

    First, they must brave Aunty's stalwart protectors the Pug-wa-wa and the Yorkie Unholy Terrier (aka Scylla and Charybdis). Should they happen to arrive when said obstacles are not in attendance, they will receive Aunty's Nasty Lecture Number 23B which references the "No Solicitors" sign in plain view on the front gate, IF Aunty deigns to answer at all.

    But last Thursday at the ungodly hour of 8:30 a.m. someone dared Scylla and Charybdis (who were barking like the hounds of Hades) to knock... LOUDLY! Figuring it must be something dire, I crawled out of bed, stumbled to the door, and peered through the security peep hole. I recognized the young man standing there in baggy shorts and flip-flops as my new neighbor who had introduced himself to the DH and me just last weekend. Scylla and Charybdis nipped at his bare ankles.

    I opened the door just a crack and he reintroduced himself and said, "My wife locked me out. Can I use your phone?"

    I let him in. I figured if the poor guy was desperate enough to brave my dogs and to see me in my jammies with no make-up and bed-head, he deserved one phone call!

    Later that afternoon, I met my wonderfully talented critique partner, Jo-Mama for brainstorming and going over chapters of our works-in-progress.

    I've just started a new Irish tale that doesn't even have a title yet. Beginnings are always difficult for me. I never quite know where to jump into the story, and I don't know my characters as well as I will a few chapters in. Plus, I've been having separation anxiety ever since The Wild Sight hit bookstores. (Will people LURVE my baby? Will readers "get" me and my story? Will I sell more than a dozen copies?)

    I truly was wandering around feeling like the new story had locked me out! Keyless and clueless.

    THANK GOODNESS for talented and insightful CPs! I swear, many times they have more knowledge of my WIP than I do. In the course of our discussion last Thursday afternoon, it quickly became apparent to me that Jo-Mama had done it again. She obviously had a far better handle on my new characters than I did! Then she made a comment, just ONE LITTLE DESCRIPTION of my heroine that made the proverbial light bulb go off inside my head!

    BOOM! The lock opened and I had a lot more insight into my character. (Have I mentioned lately how much I LURVE my CP? That she is worth her weight in GOLD? And no, I will NOT share her!) I went home and made some well-placed revisions on my chapter that I know made it and my heroine so much stronger!

    Sometimes the smallest thing can make such a big difference. Ask my poor neighbor, who stopped me yesterday to thank me again and tell me, "You really saved my life the other day." I just said, "You're welcome."

    No need to tell him that he provided the inspiration for my blog post, is there?

    What about you? Ever been keyless or clueless? When was the last time something small made a BIG difference to you?Source URL: http://extravagancedeplumes.blogspot.com/2008/11/lost-keys-cps-getting-clue.html
    Visit extra vagance de plumes for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com

Blog Archive