Sunday, November 16, 2008

Let's Hear it for Heroes!

    by Christie Kelley

    Before I forget, BH Dark, aka Kathy Love and Julie Cohen were supposed to be here today but instead will be here on Wednesday. Between sickness and traveling they just couldn’t get here today.

    Back to the topic at hand: Heroes!

    No, not those heroes. I'm talking about the wonderful guys we love to read and write about.



    I thought today would be a great day to talk about a romance authors favorite thing (and most readers too) —the unforgettable hero. Way back when (I’m not going to date myself here) it appeared as if most heroes were the same. Those great novels had the moody, alpha hero who did whatever it took to get the girl, only to be humbled a little by her love at the end of the story.

    But today, it takes all kinds to win the hearts of our heroines. Everything from Billionaires to firefighters to accountants. Today’s heroes can be an alpha or a beta or even a mix of the two. My personal favorite is the mix that some people call gamma. I have a hard time writing a man who’s too alpha even though I write historical and know it would be completely accurate. I need a man who shows his softer side before the end of the story. At the same time, I find writing a hero who is more beta also difficult. I need the hero to be a little angsty, moody and willing to do what it takes to win the heroine.

    Even among the Bandits, I find it interesting to see the type of heroes we write. We have authors who write fantastic alpha heroes and some who are either a mix or heading toward beta. I love the variety.

    So for me, an unforgettable hero is one with strong alpha characteristics and isn’t afraid to show his beta side. Without that touch of softness, I really have a hard time believing they will find that happy ever after.

    What about you? Who are some of your favorite heroes and why? What makes a hero special to you? For you authors, what are your favorite type of heroes to write?
    Source URL: http://extravagancedeplumes.blogspot.com/2008/11/let-hear-it-for-heroes.html
    Visit extra vagance de plumes for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com

Blog Archive