Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Day The World Changed

    posted by Aunty Cindy aka Loucinda McGary

    A few weeks ago, I gave a presentation at my local RWA chapter. During the Q&A portion someone asked me when I received The Call. When I answered, "It was Friday, September 14, 2007 at 8:30 in the morning." several people were surprised I remembered the day and time so clearly.

    How could I not? That was the day my world changed!

    We've all experienced a day that changed our lives forever after, sometimes in a happy way and sometimes in a not so good way.

    I'll bet we all remember what we were doing that terrible Tuesday, September 11th when we heard about the attack on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. And I think we all knew that our world would never be the same.

    I was a child in grade school, but I still vividly remember playing on the school playground at lunch recess with my best friend Gail that Friday, November 22nd. A couple of kids who lived near the school and went home for lunch came running up to tell us, "The President was shot!" My friend and I didn't believe them, and ran over to the classrooms where my teacher Mrs. Steele and her teacher Mr. Priest were standing. We didn't need to ask if it was true, because as we ran up we saw that both our teachers were crying. That was the first time I'd ever seen a grown man cry and I've never forgotten it. That was also the day I first heard the word assassination used without a reference to Abraham Lincoln. We all got sent home from school early that day, and my parents told me our country would never be the same.

    Thankfully, not all life changing events are tragic. I'll never forget that sunny Sunday afternoon on the first day of spring when I became a mom. My life was forever changed by having my son, and in spite of a few years around puberty when I doubted either of us would survive, it has been one of the best things to ever happen to me.

    Sometimes you don't know you're in the midst of a life changing event until long after the fact.

    Twenty years ago, I accompanied my friend Yvonne to a singles event. She was new to the area and didn't want to go to a bar to meet men. I went along so she wouldn't have to go alone. I'm thinking it was a Thursday night, but it could have been Wednesday. I do remember we had to go to work the next day. I remember sometime in the course of the evening, I talked to a very tall blond man and when Yvonne and I were headed for the door, he came up and gave me his phone number. A week later, I called him, just so Yvonne would stop pestering me! She thought he was nice and she thought I should call him.

    Well, she was right! That was twenty years ago and the DH and I have been together ever since!

    What about you? Do you have distinct memories of the day you experienced a significant change in your life? What's said in the Lair stays in the Lair so c'mon and SHARE with us!Source URL: http://extravagancedeplumes.blogspot.com/2009/05/day-world-changed.html
    Visit extra vagance de plumes for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com

Blog Archive