Tuesday, October 28, 2008

No Change at the Bottom


    Nope.

    I didn't go to my session today. I booked off simply because my stomach has been rumbling all day, and I've been passing false alarms...gas. Meaning, baby you'd better stay close to a john. So that's what I did today. We'll see what up as time goes on. Will this be a series of false alarms, or will the real business soon start?

    I know you're probably growing tired of my move- ments, but shit, it's a real source of conster- nation for me. You'd better believe I'm going to blog about this. The rest of my day was uneventful. I discuss current events with my brother at Starbucks and we go over the political climate right now. The days are winding down to the presidential election and the candidates are tearing at the Earth, covering ground. There is excitement and fear in the air, and just plain detachment. This is going to be one humdinger of an election.

    I like everyone else wonders how the chips will fall when the time come. Will this country hold fast, or fly apart? Will the racial lines tear it in two? Who knows. I just know that right after the dust settles and whoever wins marches into office, I'll still be homeless. Maybe even in the streets again.

    And I guess that's why the homeless don't vote. They simply don't care. Nothing changes this far down for them. No matter what happens. The multi-billion dollar bailout, the 12 billion dollar deficit that the state has fallen into, the election, a nuclear holocaust, nothing will change things here. Skeksis will still be skeksis, as simple as that. There will be no more or no less down here. The little that is given will still be little.

    Hey, I'm not com- plaining, I'm not paying for anything. I'm a wart on society, looking for a bone. Whoever is handing out, I'm there to be handed to. Just like a skek. Is there really any difference between myself and them? I wonder sometimes. So now you know. Skeks don't generally vote. Many of them don't have addresses, some use the addresses of the shelters that they live in. But do they register? Doubtful. There should be a drive to get all of the homeless to pull that lever so that they can have a voice in government, but there is no way you can unify them. It's like herding a hundred cats. To get them to support a cause, even if it was of a direct benefit to them, would be damn near impossible.

    I mean, could you see Scurvy, or Swings-at-the-fences, or Coconut going to vote? These people are so burned out I don't even think they change their underwear on a monthly basis. Much less walk up to a voting booth and pull a lever.

    Am I bitter? I guess so. Once you're down this low, there's no easy way back out. No matter what anyone tells you. There are no plans, no orchestrated help, no such thing as a social worker with any power to do anything but perpetuate your circumstances. There's no getting out of this easily. There's no 'getting a job' because you need a big assed job to roof you out of here. And you have to stay at it for long enough to get enough paychecks to pay for an apartment. An apartment, which doesn't come easy even when you do have the money.

    I wish there was an easy solution. If there were there wouldn't be so many vets out here with us. The Veterans Association is making sweeping changes as to how they approach this issue and are making it easier for veterans to find adequate housing and jobs. But for the rest of us that weren't in the service, we can hurry along to fucking Hell. And I guess that's what we're condemned to isn't it?

    Winter rushes upon us. It is getting cold outside and will do nothing but get colder. Soon, the first snows will fall, covering the city with a mantle of white.

    Global warming made it easy for us last year. I wonder if it will do the same this year.

    Pray that it does.

    HobobobSource URL: http://extravagancedeplumes.blogspot.com/2008/10/no-change-at-bottom.html
    Visit extra vagance de plumes for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com

Blog Archive