Monday, October 20, 2008

A Harvest of Expectations

    posted by Aunty Cindy aka Loucinda McGary

    Since it’s the harvest season here in the Western hemisphere, and time for sowing and new beginnings for our buddies down under, I’ve been thinking about the whole cycle of planting and reaping and anticipating rewards.

    Most of the time, when I do something, I have certain expectations of the process and the outcome. For example, when I read a new book or watch a new movie I expect to be entertained by characters and situations, maybe learn something along the way, and generally enjoy myself for a few hours. When my BFF plants seed or seedlings in her garden, her expectations are to eventually have pretty flowers or delicious fruits and vegetables.

    When I began my journey to publication, I had some definite expectations, some realistic and others not so much. I also developed new expectations as I went along, and each milestone along the way had me changing, discarding, and even achieving new and different expectations.

    This whole journey has been a gigantic learning process. From learning the writing basics of plot, character development, and conflict, to the vast mysteries of query letters and submissions, down to copyedits and self-promotion, I’ve stumbled along, always expecting I’d find my way through, and I have. Sometimes the lessons haven’t been pleasant, but far more often I’ve enjoyed what I learned, and either way, I know I benefited.

    And speaking of benefits… I’ve experienced many unexpected and wonderful ones!

    When I finalled in the 2006 Golden Heart, I had some pretty big expectations, but I never thought I’d meet nineteen of the best friends I’ve ever had! I certainly didn’t expect that a contest would ultimately result in being part of the coolest community in cyber-space, but here I am with all of you!

    Over a year ago, when I sold my first book, I knew that ultimately I would see my dream of publication come true. Well, just a few days ago I finally saw my first book on the store shelves, but now I know that this is only part of the harvest that I’ve enjoyed and will continue to enjoy for a long time to come. Thanks to the magic of the internet, I know that my book is in libraries all over the country and in the hands of readers all around the world! And I know unforeseen dividends will continue to surprise and delight me and far surpass my wildest expectations.

    What about you? Where are you in the process of sowing and harvesting? What kinds of expectations have you had that happened or didn’t? Care to share some unexpected rewards? Source URL: http://extravagancedeplumes.blogspot.com/2008/10/harvest-of-expectations.html
    Visit extra vagance de plumes for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com

Blog Archive