Friday, October 24, 2008

In the Cave

    We writers talk a lot about going into the CAVE. That’s where you disappear to do little else but work like a maniac until the book is finished. You don’t socialize, you don’t have fun, you don’t blog, you don’t answer email, you don’t do laundry or clean your house or shop or talk to anyone.

    It’s like you’re hibernating. Because you ARE. You’re in THE CAVE.

    That’s where I am, right now. But it’s my day to blog and for just a minute, I’m thinking about other places I’d rather be. KJ talked about her adventures traveling in the Middle East yesterday, but I’m thinking about someplace closer, someplace where I could just go, disappear, chill out, recuperate, veg out, do nothing at all. I suppose I could crawl under the covers, but I want to sit outside, read and stare at a beautiful view.

    I don’t feel like getting on a plane so I’m thinking someplace local, within driving distance. Since I live in Southern California, I’m thinking of Balboa Island. This tiny piece of land in the middle of Newport Harbor is less than one hour from Los Angeles but a whole world away from the feeling of a big city. It’s peaceful, a bit old-fashioned and quiet.

    Or maybe I’d head for Cambria, up the coast in Central California.

    Or even farther north to a favorite spot, the charming Victorian village of Ferndale, California. It's got the most beautiful beach . . .

    Where do your dreams take you when all you want to do is get away from televisions, computers, cell phones and the world?

    And is there one book on your TBR pile you’d take with you? I’ve got our own Christine Wells’ The Dangerous Duke in my hot little hands and I can’t wait to start it!

    How about you? Where would you go – and what would you read?
    Source URL: http://extravagancedeplumes.blogspot.com/2008/10/in-cave.html
    Visit extra vagance de plumes for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com

Blog Archive