Friday, April 29, 2011

NYC Postcard: 7 New York Movie Shots I Love

    "I bet they're asleep in New York. I bet they're asleep all over America."

    The way Humphrey Bogart says this in "Casablanca" seems to say just as much about New York City as even Woody Allen's brilliant, loving ode via monologue at the start of "Manhattan." As in, New York comes first. The rest of America, second. I adore the place, even though I, like the Woodman, romanticize it all out of proportion.

    Here is one romantic's postcard of that romanticism.


    "Saturday Night Fever" (1977). Woody & Diane sat in the shadow of a bridge, too, but I prefer Travolta's Tony Manero gazing across the East River, longingly, hopefully, sadly.


    "New York, I Love You" (2009). Most populous city in America but sometimes, even amidst so many people and so much madness, it's just you and your thoughts.


    "Quiet City" (2007). Twilight. Saturday. Heading into the city. Who knows what magic awaits?


    "Manhattan Murder Mystery" (1993). I always think this is how every meal out in New York City is supposed to look. Late evening, tiny place, closely packed tables, but entirely empty, kinda like a 1920's speakeasy, and that wine you're drinking is totally against the law.


    "The Royal Tenenbaums" (2001). "She and her brother Richie ran away from home one winter and camped out in the African wing of the public archives." The older I get the more I dream of running away from home one winter and camping out in the African wing of the public archives.


    "The Wackness" (2008). A hot summer day in Central Park with a couple perspiring 40 ozs, chill music on the boombox and a girl you totally dig. Perfection.



    "Serendipity" (2001). Just keep your pie-hole shut. You knew this was coming.Source URL: http://extravagancedeplumes.blogspot.com/2011/04/nyc-postcard-7-new-york-movie-shots-i.html
    Visit extra vagance de plumes for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com

Blog Archive