Saturday, May 22, 2010

Homage to Flash Mobs

    by Donna MacMeans

    I've been really taken by the spontaneous dance videos that are popping up all over the internet. I'm sure you've seen some of these. They all start the same way - a crowd of people milling about, doing what a crowd does. Suddenly music is broadcast, someone starts to break out in dance - then more people join in doing the same choreographed moves. When the music stops, the crowd disperses. I love it! I want to be in a flash mob dance.

    Here's one of my favorites (for many reasons). One - the venue is my alma mater, Ohio State University. They just opened a new student union (which, in my opinion, looks a lot like a shopping mall). Jordan Davis organized the flash mob and the Jordan is (Two) from my home town. Man - if only she would have called. They let the old geezer University President in the video (he's the one accompanying Brutus Buckeye, the school's mascot) so surely they could have found a place for me (grin). (Three) I believe in this song - Don't Stop Believing and (Four) I love the Glee version.

    Here's the flash mob video. BTW, it took two months of secret rehearsals to coordinate the seventy student dancers.



    It makes you smile doesn't it? Just in case it doesn't load right - here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDNOB6TnHSI
    I read that the whole phenom started with a "spontaneous" pillow fight in a public venue. That was followed by a public freeze for five minutes in Paris. The music and dance adds a much better component, plus the songs are always so upbeat. Here's another one that makes me want to sing along.




    Were you singing? (Were you dancing?)

    Here's another video to get you moving. The Black Eyed Peas singing "I've got a feeling." The performance was to kick off Oprah's 24th(?) season - but she didn't know about the flash mob. Do you see that crazy girl in the front dancing like crazy? That would be me (grin) - no - that's not me in the video, but I'd be the crazy one dancing when everyone else stood still. Sometimes the music just gets in you.

    object width="660" height="405">

    So how about you? Are you a flash mob fan? Have you ever been in a flash mob video? Want to? It's a kick-back Sunday so let's have some fun.
    Source URL: http://extravagancedeplumes.blogspot.com/2010/05/homage-to-flash-mobs.html
    Visit extra vagance de plumes for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com

Blog Archive