Sunday, April 11, 2010

Desert Island DVDs

    Fandango Groovers Movie Blog today is spearheading a multi-blog event that is - in its own words - "a variation on the radio program Desert Island Discs: For those who don’t know the show has been running on the BBC for nearly 70 years. Guests are invited to imagine themselves cast away on a desert island with only eight pieces of music to listen to." But in this case bloggers are asked to envision themselves cast away on a desert island with only eight DVDs. So....eight movies I love implicitly....eight movies I would choose if I could never choose any other movies again....eight movies I could watch over and over and never ever tire of....

    You might not believe me but I made this list in about 34 seconds. I know what I want. What would you want?

    darrlin bands's 8 Desert Island DVDs:

    - "Last of the Mohicans". No explanation necessary. The Washington Monument of my DVD collection.


    -
    "Million Dollar Baby". The Lincoln Monument of my DVD collection. I know that for some "Million Dollar Baby" - particularly the third act - is hard to watch, and I totally understand, but it's not for me. I find moviemaking that incredible easy to watch.


    -
    "The Myth of Fingerprints". I only watch this movie once a year but I have to fight off persistent urges at many times during the year to keep that once-a-year tradition alive, believe me. I could watch it 180 times a year - possibly even 255 times a year. It is the Jefferson Monument of my DVD collection (and now I will stop with this whole Washington D.C. landmark comparison nonsense).


    -
    "Lost In Translation". I imagine it's going to get just a bit lonely on that desert island and this is - far and away - my favorite film to watch when I feel a little bit lonely (and/or lost).


    - "Before Sunrise".
    No one to talk to on the island? No worries. I'll let Jesse and Celine talk for me. (Note: I've have yet to write a review of this movie. Tragic. So here's my friend Rory's review.)


    -
    "From Here To Eternity". Now do you understand why I'm so concerned Jessica Simpson might one day star in a remake of this? Do you hear me, Simpson?! Keep your grubby hands off! Don't think I don't know what you're up to!


    -
    "Without Limits". When I moved from Iowa to Arizona my first day out on the road the enormity of what I was doing hit me and I had a little bit of a freak-out. I mean, of course, I did. It's me! That night at my hotel in Oklahoma City I found "Without Limits" showing on TV and I cannot describe how happy it made me and how much it calmed me down. Cinematic comfort food.

    - "Elizabethtown". Don't judge me!!!

    Source URL: http://extravagancedeplumes.blogspot.com/2010/04/desert-island-dvds.html
    Visit extra vagance de plumes for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com

Blog Archive