Monday, July 26, 2010

Things I Sneak

    by Susan Sey

    Like many of you, I'm in Orlando this week at the RWA convention. Which means, of course, that I'm really at Disney. Without my kids. Or, heck, without my husband. The last time we were here, my husband spent the days attending a conference while I schlepped a 10 month old and a 4 yo around the parks with my parents.

    It was wonderful, honestly. My youngest actually learned to walk here. She took her first steps across the hotel room to my dad. You can't buy moments like that, people. It was a great trip.

    However, when the opportunity arose to come to Orlando all by myself, I jumped at it. Not that I don't love my kids, my husband or my parents, but as a stay at home mom, I don't often indulge myself.

    And by indulge, I mean consider my own needs first.

    Normally, I'm always thinking about, packing for and anticipating the needs of others. I have sweaters, snacks, water bottles & sunscreen at the ready. I make sure the car is full of gas. I make sure the piano books are ready to go come lesson time. Who rounds up all the library books? I do.

    So going to Disney? By myself?

    Yes, please. But I'm not telling the kids about it until I get home. Why? Because part of the self-indulgence is not listening to them whine about not coming. Another little treat for me--yay!

    It got me thinking, though, about other things I do that are completely self-indulgent. That I sort of hide from my kids. Here, in no particular order, they are:

    1) TV.

    We're pretty strict about screentime for the kids around here but that's because I'm a total junkie. I don't watch often, but when I do, I'm addicted. I have to wait until shows have their run, then I get the whole thing on DVD & so I can binge after the kids are asleep. My husband & I slammed all 7 (8?) seasons of the Sopranos between July 4 & Labor Day one year. It was some committed TV watching, let me tell you.


    2) Poor nutrition.

    I'm a huge fan of popcorn for dinner. Apple pie for breakfast. Pretzels, Diet Coke & a romance novel are my version of the holy trinity. I enjoy ice cream as a meal every so often. I try to model healthy eating for my kids but sometimes...sometimes....I feed them their healthy dinner, put 'em to bed & eat popcorn.

    3) Procrastination.

    I also try to model good work habits for the kids. Homework gets done first, THEN we play. But sometimes, oh sometimes pressure is the only thing that sparks the muse. Sometimes I have to wait until the situation is desperate then fling myself into a blissful all-nighter. I actually enjoy it. There's a high that comes with performing under pressure. It's not a habit I want my kids to pick up, but well, there you have it.

    How about you? What do you hide or sneak? A piece of yourself that's out of line with your usual habits & mind set but that you indulge every so often? Don't be shy--fess up! I'm off at Disney today, so the Lair's quiet. You might get away with it....
    Source URL: http://extravagancedeplumes.blogspot.com/2010/07/things-i-sneak.html
    Visit extra vagance de plumes for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com

Blog Archive