Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Sadness of the Earth

    I woke up feeling less achy than I went to sleep.
    Link


    I rolled over and looked at my watch. It was Two in the morning. What the fuck? I rose and looked around in the dark. You can always tell early morning darkness. It's completely different from nighttime darkness. It has a new-ness to it. It's very texture is different. I rise and go to the bathroom to piss out some of that beer that is no doubt settling into my very tissues. Then I returned to bed.

    I slept like the dead again, only to wake up at Six O'clock. I rose again. The sun was not yet up in the skies, it's blush not yet on the horizon. I went to the bathroom to take care of more beer excreta. Once again, I am back in my bed and snoring like a baby until I hear 'MEDICATION' called. I roll over, glance at my watch. Shit, It's a quarter after Nine. I had made plans to meet with OBSIDIAN at Astor Place Starbucks.

    Astor Place Starbucks, like any Starbucks has the air conditioning too fucking high. I guess it's because people are buying hot coffee. But they also serve cold drinks which then doesn't make much sense. What's wrong with seventy degrees? Everyone likes seventy degrees.

    I started off with a coffee, waiting for OBSIDIAN, but Ten O'clock, our meeting time, came and went. So I went on ahead and called J to see what they would be up to. J said that they had not made any plans yet, so to call back later. Therefore I stayed online. While on Oz, dropped into chat, followed by Big K and they kept my ass busy for awhile. Then I called J again, but got her answering machine. Then again and got her machine again.

    The day was already long in the tooth, and night would soon be approaching. The morning was long gone. I was in return mode. Ready for re-entry into the Box. Deep into the chat with Big K I heard someone call my name and put an hand on my shoulder. My brother.

    But no, turning around, it was J. It's weird when your mind sees one person and your eyes see another. Not only was I startled by the touch, but also the sight. She was standing there before me and I was stunned. What? What? "We are just around the corner," she says. "I thought you would be here." We made plans. She was going to go have lunch with her girlfriends while I cleaned up my area and stowed my gear in my back pack. As she left, I wondered about OBSIDIAN anew. It was not like him to miss a meeting. These things are important when you are homeless.

    Because you are out of touch for a few hours when you go separate ways to sleep, and because of the dangerousness and callousness of life on the streets, you keep your friends from worrying by making meeting arrangements and not blowing them off. With my brother not showing this late in the day, it was a wonder that I still looked at the door to watch for his arrival. But shit, I was worried for the man.

    Soon, J returned with Breaking and Entering and together we took the train uptown to Lincoln Center to watch a concert that someone called 'cornball'. It was largely bluegrass, down home music which wasn't so bad. But I waited for Patti Smith, who they saved for last. She was dead last, and the brightest star on that stage this night. I lasted for two and a half songs until I had to leave to beat my curfew. I give myself an hour to make it back simply because if there are any delays I don't want to be caught waiting on a fucking train. Not after I've been drinking, and I did have three beers. Probably would not have tipped the breathalyzer much but still, there's no sense risking the senseless.

    I literally zoomed back to the Box. Every train connection was there waiting for me, and they moved through the tunnels without flaw. Before I knew it I was in front of the entrance to the Box. I went upstairs, and guess what? Angel had ANOTHER laptop. This one was in good working order with all of the parts, extra batteries, two power cords...everything. And it looked as if it came right out of the store.

    He says he found it.

    I shake my head. He was telling me how much he wanted a computer and that he had to get himself one, and suddenly here is one that he just found. One of three. I don't know. I really don't know about Angel and his finding things. He has to take time to parade every part and parcel of the device in front of me, carefully showing me this and that part. I shake my head but I enjoy his finding with him until Igor comes in, with photographs of a wedding that he took with his camera, and like children, while Angel is showing me his computer parts, Igor has to show me his pictures. Here daddy, lookit this, lookit this!!

    I placate them as best as I can. I'm too tired to brush them off. Like a man dying in the desert while vultures test and try him to see if he's still alive. Finally they tire.

    I blog and answer emails.

    It's been another long day, but at least I'm not sore and tired like I was last night.

    It's been a nice day. I wish I had more like them.

    HobobobSource URL: http://extravagancedeplumes.blogspot.com/2008/08/sadness-of-earth.html
    Visit extra vagance de plumes for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com

Blog Archive