Saturday, July 19, 2008

New and Improved

    by Beth Andrews

    I'm very proud of myself. You see, I wrote a new partial (for those nonwriters, that's usually the first three chapters and a synopsis). Now, you may ask, why the heck am I so proud - haven't I written partials before? You bet I have. But all of those stories were romance or romantic suspense stories. This partial is for a young adult book. Written in First Person even.

    In other words, it's something I've never attempted before. The story may be rough, the tense flip flops back and forth between present and past and I have no idea if any teenager in the world will want to read it - let alone if I can find an editor who'll want to buy it...but I did it.

    I tried something new :-)

    Yes, trying new things can be frightening but it can also be FUN!! I had so much fun getting into my character's head and plotting out her story that now I HAVE to finish this story - no matter what *g*

    In fact, I had so much fun that I decided to try lots of new things! For instance:

    I got a new haircut. Okay, this one isn't that big of a deal since I'm constantly changing my hairstyle but I haven't gone this short in years - but I love my new 'do! If you see a Katie Holms look-alike at RWA's national conference...well...that's not me...but I do have a very cute chin length bob now *g*

    I started wearing my heartrate monitor every time I work out. And what a difference that has made! Seeing how hard I'm working (or, maybe that should be, how hard I wasn't working) has really pushed me to work out harder.

    I made guacamole. Yes, you can make it! I know, I had no idea either ;-) I thought it just came all prepared for me in a jar. But if you buy avocados that are nice and squishy (but not too squishy) you can mash them and add the little packet of seasoning (okay, so I cheated a bit *g*) and voila! Guacamole!

    The best part about trying new things and having fun with them is that they made me want to try even MORE new things. So when I'm at the conference in San Francisco I'm going to:

    Try new foods. This is very brave of me as there are quite a few foods I will not eat (but that's a whole 'nother blog) But this year, I shall try new dishes and I might even swap my favorite strawberry margarita for something totally new...a pomegranate margarita! Crazy, I know ;-)

    Dance like no one is watching. Some of the parties have dancing and for once when I get out on the dance floor I'm not going to worry what I look like. I'm just going to have fun *g*

    Approach people and introduce myself. While I'm not shy, I am an introvert (yes, I do think there's a difference *g*) but this year I'm putting myself out there. Who knows? Maybe I'll make a new friend or two :-)



    What about you? What would you like to try that you've never done before? What's the latest "new" thing you've done?





    One lucky commenter will win a signed copy of Stacey Kayne's latest awesome western, THE GUNSLINGER'S UNTAMED BRIDE. So let's hear from you!

    Source URL: http://extravagancedeplumes.blogspot.com/2008/07/new-and-improved.html
    Visit extra vagance de plumes for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com

Blog Archive