Saturday, July 30, 2011

Double Feature Theater


    Today Marc of Go, See, Talk is spearheading a brilliant blogathon in which we are to imagine ourselves as movie theater owners and then set up a week's schedule of double features, with Sunday being our special triple feature. Believe me, back in the days when I used to manage a movie theater (which was really just a multiplex) I would fantasize about what I'd run all week in Theater 16 where they'd shove all the movies that had been around forever.

    Alas, I was never given the chance. Now my dream has come true!

    Monday: "The Big Sleep" / "To Have And Have Not." The totality of the first film combined with about the first 40 minutes of the second film might just make for the most sheerly watchable 155 minutes in the history of cinema.


    Tuesday: "Before Sunrise" / "Quiet City". My theater could follow-up the young Jesse and Celine with the old Jesse and Celine, but thought it would instead be best to continue re-living our youth and serve up a much less talky companion piece subsituting Park Slope for Vienna. (Note: If you didn't know, the still in my blog header is taken from "Quiet City." Thought I'd mention it.)

     
    Wednesday: "Ruby In Paradise" / "Sunshine State". Two underseen indie gems that show the Florida you don't necessarily see in the postcards. The former contains the best performance of Ashley Judd's life. The latter is John Sayles' best film.
     
     
     
    Thursday: "Roxanne" / "Bowfinger." When you're alone and life is making you lonely you can always......watch "Roxanne" & "Bowfinger" back to back.

     
    Friday: "Captain Blood" / "Adventures of Robin Hood." Motion pictures do not, cannot and will not get any more rousing and spirited than these two certified Flynn/De Havilland/Rathbone/Curtiz monumental landmarks.

     
    Saturday: "My Blue Heaven" / "Goodfellas". I had several ideas for this slot but was having trouble choosing and then this double feature was pitched to me one night by a couple friends over a few beers when I explained this particular blogathon and it was just way too good not to include. The story of Henry Hill as told by Ephron and then by Scorsese.


    Sunday: "The Insider" / "Heat" / "Last of the Mohicans." In the 1990's Michael Mann made three movies. These three movies. One was a true story set in the world of "60 Minutes", one was about bank robbers in L.A., one was set during The French & Indian War, but they all had one thing in common. Each one was a masterpiece.

    Source URL: http://extravagancedeplumes.blogspot.com/2011/07/double-feature-theater.html
    Visit extra vagance de plumes for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com

Blog Archive