Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Different Creativity

    posted by darrlin bands

    No doubt about it, we are a creative bunch here in the Lair!

    You would think that statement would be a no-brainer with a bunch of writers, but actually, creativity takes a lot of different forms. Just off the top of my head here are some of the Banditas' other creative endeavors:
    • Donna MacMeans paints in oils
    • Tawny Webber does scrap-booking
    • Cassondra Murray is a musician and songwriter
    • Joan Kayse is an award-winning baker
    • several of us (myself included) do various kinds of needlework
    Not a thorough list, by any means, and I won't even attempt to mention all of the creative endeavors of our Bandita Buddies, or this post would run on forever! Creative people always seem to find ways to channel their energies into artistic feats.

    I've been thinking about this diversity of creativity a lot since a couple of weekends ago when the DH took me to the college where he works to see some of the student art work (and some of his latest efforts too). I'm always amazed at the many and varied directions artists take in creating a work. My DH's first choice is sculpting and he's worked in many different media including metal, wood, and ceramic.

    Back in the days when I still had my Dreaded Day Job, I had to travel all over the state for meetings, and sometimes the DH would accompany me. On one such trip to Los Angeles, after my meetings were done, the DH insisted we go to see the Watts Towers. Since these incredible works of art are not in the world's best neighborhood, I was a bit hesitant, but DH talked me into it and I'm so glad he did!

    These incredible structures are over 90 feet (30 meters) high and were built over a period of thirty years by one man, Simon Rodia in his back yard. Basically made of scrap metal and concrete, they are inlaid with an amazing mosaic of broken plates, bottles, and seashells. Quite a creative undertaking by an Italian immigrant and one-time tile setter, who built and decorated all this in his spare time!

    What about you? What kind of creative things do you like to do in your spare time? Ever seen any unusual artwork or other creative stuff you can share with us?Source URL: http://extravagancedeplumes.blogspot.com/2010/03/different-creativity.html
    Visit extra vagance de plumes for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com

Blog Archive